“To enjoy the sweet and soft inside of the ´Apfelstrudel´ you first have to break through the crunchy, dense outside. This reminds me of the so-called Ring in Vienna which historically was a wall of buildings there to protect the kingdom, but is now the heart of Vienna, including all the traditional beautiful old buildings like the Hofburg.”
- Puff pastry
- 1kg of apples
- 80g of sugar
- 4 tbsp. of raisins
- Lemon juice approx. 1 Lemon
- 15g of Cinnamon powder
- 3 tbsp. of Butter
- 100g of breadcrumbs
Make the filling first:
- Heat the butter in the pan, add the breadcrumbs and fry them slowly (moderate heat) until golden brown.
- Peel the apples, cut into slices and sprinkle them with the lemon juice. Add sugar and cinnamon and mix.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll out the puff pastry and place on sheet of baking paper.
- Distribute the breadcrumbs, the apple mixture and the raisins over 1/3 of the dough.
- Coat the remaining surface with the egg and fold the ends in to close it. Coat the top with the rest of the egg and put it in the oven.
- Bake for 40 – 50 min until golden brown.
This ArchiFood recipe is from our intern Lena.